|I devised this dish from memory when I was a teeanger living in Germany and while my dad was visiting. This became his favorite dish.Serving: 4-6
12 ounces of regular or lean ground beef
2 large onions chopped
2 large tomatoes chopped or one small can of chopped tomatoe
2 cups Italina Parsely chopped
2 cups green onions chopped
1/2 head garlic chopped
1/4 cup white rice
1/4 cup yellow split peas
1/4 cup oil
1 tea spoon Turmeric
2 table spoon Tomatoe Paste
1/2 tea spoon ground saffron
1/2 tea spoon crushed red pepper
Salt and Pepper
- 1. Preheat oven 350ºF.
- 2. In a pot, brown 1 and 1/2 onions, 2 tablespoons of oil, pinch of salt & Pepper and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric.
- 3. When onions are golden, add ground beef, garlic, red pepper, 1/2 teaspoon salt and saute for 10 more minutes on medium heat.
- 4. Add tomatoe paste, 1/2 of chopped tomatoes and cook for 10 more minutes on medium heat.
5. Mix the powdered Saffron with 1/2 cup of boiling water and add to beef mixture and mix. Taste seasoning.
10. Fill eggplants with the beef and herbs stuffing.
11. In a large skillet, add the remaining onions, tomatoes, 1/2 cup water or tomato juice, eggplant flesh, a little oil, salt, pepper and mix to cover the base of our skillet – add the stuffed eggplants side by side over the onion and tomato mixture, close the lid and bake in the oven for 1½ hours. Serve with bread and Greek yogurt.
- 6. Slice off the bottoms of eggplants and hollow them out, using the point of a knife, leaving a shell about 1/2 inch thick, and set aside the flesh. Sprinkle the shells generously with 1 tablespoon salt and set aside.
- 7. Cook rice for 15 minutes in 2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Drain.
- 8. Cook split peas for 20 minutes in 2 cups of water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Drain
- 9. Add rice, split peas, and the chopped herbs to beef mixture. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly and taste.